Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Great Homeschooling Picnic

A quote for today: It is important that students bring a certain ragamuffin, barefoot irreverence to their studies; they are not here to worship what is known, but to question it. ~Jacob Bronowski

Today, while other young people were returning to school, my daughter and I went to a "Not Back To School Picnic". I have been homeschooling my children since my oldest daughter finished first grade. That makes this my 15th Not Back to School Picnic! I haven't missed any since we started homeschooling.

It was a beautiful day today. We have always had our picnic at Great Brook Farm in Carlisle, Massachusetts. It is a state park with a working dairy farm, and ma
ny trails for walking, bicycling, horse riding, and - in the winter - cross country skiing.

Here is a picture of the dairy barn:




And these are some pictures of students with their "barefoot irreverence" to studies:








A great time was had by all!

If you want more info about homeschooling, one of the many websites to check out is Jon's Homeschool Resources

A great source for information on homeschooling in Massachusetts, is the Massachusetts Home Learning Association website.

Finally, I would be glad to try to answer your questions, just email me at alysamerle@dudleyzoo.org

No comments: