Friday, January 23, 2009

New Designs-Math Scarves

I know I haven't posted in a while. Writing regularly has always been a challenge for me - I have quite a few slightly filled diaries! With a new year and refreshed motivation, consider this a fresh start.

I'm very excited about the new scarves I have been designing. At an amazing percussion workshop this past fall, Tony Vacca defined math as the study of patterns. In a lightbulb moment, I made the connection to patterns for crocheted and knitted items.

The first scarf I created was based on the number "pi". The number of rows in each stripe correspond to a digit in pi. You can see in these pictures that the first white stripe is 3 rows, the next black stripe is 1 row, the next white stripe is 4 rows, etc.

Align Center


This particular scarf is 7 feet long and goes up to 29 digits of pi. You can still see more pictures and info here. RIght now I'm taking custom orders only in buyer's choice of color.

In the most recent creation, you can have any word up to 15 digit done in binary code! I made a sample section with my name:






More pictures and info can be found here.

There are more math and science and math designs and samples in progress.

2 comments:

Nuvofelt said...

This is an exciting project. I wish you well.

And keep up those blog posts too.....

jstinson said...

Love this. Also, Mvto and Wa-do (Thank you in Creek and Cherokee) for your comment on my blog.