Thursday, February 5, 2009

Appendicitis and Reversible Knit Stitch Patterns

What a week! My daughter's changing Facebook status tells the story:

Sunday: Heather is 17 years old.
Monday evening: Heather is going to the emergency room
Tuesday morning: Heather has appendicitis
Tuesday evening: Heather has no appendix

We got home Wednesday evening, she's sore and tired, but recovering. I'm tired, and also recovering. Following are pictures of my "appendicitis scarf". I started it in the emergency room, and finished it Wednesday morning.





















I like working with patterns that include multiples of 3. I find I can count the stitches in my head and still focus on other things like conversations or TV. It also makes it easy to tell if you have the right number of stitches in the row, if you drop or add a stitch the pattern won't work.

When my husband and other daughter came to visit, the first thing I asked for was more yarn!
Here is the second scarf I started to work on:








When I make scarves and afghans, I like them to look good on both sides. In the many books of stitch patterns I own, there are none that show how both sides of a stitch looks. Maybe I'll write a book featuring stitches that look good on both sides, along with photographs. Just one of the many projects to do in my spare time.

The two stitches I used for these scarves are relatively easy to do.
For the one in the first picture I used a size 6 needle, and dk weight yarn, but this will work with any size yarn and the appropriate sized needles for the yarn weight. I cast on 21 stitches, and it is about 4.5 inches wide. Here is the stitch pattern for the first one:

Multiple of 6 stitches, plus 3

For every row: Slip the first st as if to purl; k2 *p3, k3; repeat from * to end.

The second scarf ends up looking sort of like a sideways rib stitch. I used a size 6 needle, and 2 strands of fingering weight yarn. With 24 stitches cast on it is 4.5 inches wide.

Following is the stitch pattern.

Cast on desired number of stitches

Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: Knit

Repeat these 3 rows for pattern.
Note: to make a smooth edge, slip the first stitch of each row.

Happy knitting!

No comments: