Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Kippot Made With Very Special Crochet Cot

Today's Tip: Some crochet patterns have you place a marker and then move it several times. This is especially true for motifs that start in the center, such as granny squares and doilies. I have found that it is easy to use a bobby pin, paper clip, or safety pin. They are inexpensive, I can usually find one ;), they are easy to move, and I'm not upset if I lose one! If you want something nicer for yourself or for a gift, there are artists at Etsy who make them. I found them with a search for "crochet, marker, not knit". You can also find lots of lovely stitch markers for knitting. Markers for knitting generally slip on the needle and get passed between needles as you work. Crochet markers need to be hooked onto the piece you are making and moved with each row or round.

I recently received some lovely crochet thread from Snappish on Etsy. Check out her shop at http://www.Snappish.etsy.com

It is hand-dyed #10 crochet cotton, also referred to as bedspread cotton.

These are the 3 skeins that I received. The pink and purple is "Pizzaz" colorway, the blue and white is "Flax" colorway, and the blue and pink skein is the "Alyssa" colorway. I couldn't resist getting that one (even though it is spelled wrong!). Each skein has 300 yards - enough to make several small projects.

The first thing I made was a kippah (yarmulke) from Pizzaz:

Even though it still needs to be blocked/shaped, you can see how lovely it is. There is plenty of thread left. I am making some bun covers for dancers, and more kippot, including some with more openwork.

I love making kippot, especially for women. Some are completely designed by me, and others start with a pattern for a doily or another crochet motif . I have also made some large ones that are appropriate for men which will be posted my store shortly.

I welcome custom orders! Kippot can be made in many colors, sizes, and patterns. It is fun to have to match different outfits. They make great presents, especially for a Bar or Bat Mitzvah ceremony. Wouldn't it be lovely to have matching kippot for everyone in a wedding party, or in the family of someone celbrating a Bar or Bat Mitzvah? Kippot can be made to match the color scheme chosen for the event. Feel free to contact me for information or to order your own one-of-a-kind kippah.

No comments: