Monday, July 21, 2008

Knitting as Therapy

Do you find knitting to be therapeutic? I know I do. This morning I had a Doctor's appointment and I purposely brought a soft, furry yarn, and needles to make a scarf. Texture can really make a difference. Also, the yarn is so nice, no special pattern is needed, and garter stitch will look good.

Just after we started talking, the Dr. suggested I finish the row and then I could put it down. And I said "No, I can't". In response to her quizzical look, I said that I needed it to keep me calm and to fidget out my nervousness. I was knitting furiously as I said it. She let me continue, thank goodness.

I got a package from KnitPicks today - I'm such a yarn hog!


You can see the yarns in this picture. KnitPicks has great yarns and great sales! It's almost impossible for me to resist. Their descriptions are wonderful, and I've liked everything I've received from them. I also love their podcasts (I'll review podcasts in other posts).

But, it gets even better - all books were 40% off.
If there's anything I like as much as getting new yarn, it's getting new books. As you can see, I mostly bought books that have stitches and motifs in them. I plan to incorporate the designs in new items to make and sell. I have lots of ideas for things to make, and I love trying out new patterns.

Today's Tip - Do you ever need a ruler or tape measure, but there aren't any to be found? Sometime when you do have a measuring device, use it to measure parts of your hand. I know that each joint of my thumb is 1 inch. My full hand span - pinky to thumb - is about 8 inches, and from pinky to pointer is about 5 inches. Even though it is not totally precise, I find this to be very useful information. For many items, exact measurement is not necessary. Knit and crochet items always have some stretch to them, so "about" is good enough for many items - such as hats, bags, and scarves. If you're making something that needs more precise measurement, you can use your hand to check if you're almost there, if it's time to get out that ruler.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oooh, I LOVE getting craft presents in the mail! I have a big box of yarns in my studio, and just keep wanting to add more.

I have been getting into the raw wool now, for some felting projects - my DH says I need a bigger house! :)

Great blog, great start.

Zuda Gay Pease said...

Beautiful yarns!!! Yarns are so addicting! And books too!!!

Felicia said...

Yes, I definitely enjoy knitting as therapy!

HomeMadeOriginals said...

I love Knitpicks. Have you used their Options or Harmony needles? They are wonderful. Thanks for the compliment on my blog.