Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sorting and Storing Yarn




Today's Tip: This is another measuring tip. If you stretch out your arms, for most people, finger tip to finger tip is equal to your height. Not sure I'm right? Most people are familiar with DaVinci's picture, Vitruvian Man (ok, I didn't know the name of it before now, but I was familiar with the picture). Look at the picture to the right, there is a square inside the circle. The man's arm span goes across the square, and the height is head to toe in the same square.




How do you organize your yarn? First of all, I use a combination of clear plastic bags, and storage bins. I leave the bags with at least a little opening, so that any moisture doesn't get trapped in the bag. Putting the yarn in clear containers helps me to remember what I have and makes it easier to find things if I want a particular yarn.

My sorting system is one that reflects the way I use yarn. Another method may work better for you. I have all cotton threads and yarns in one bag/bin. Anything with wool in it is also sorted out; although I can work with wool I can't wear it, so I like to keep it separate. Some yarns I separate by their weight - worsted, bulky, and sock weight in different bags. However, I also separate out "novelty" yarns - one bag for ladder and ribbon yarns, and another for fuzzy/furry and sparkly yarns.

Additionally, I organize my projects. I have one bin of unfinished projects. There are bags that need linings, buttons to be sewn on, and ends to pull in. I often finish the knitting or crocheting but don't have the tools handy to do the finishing. Other times I take out the items I need for finishing and take care of several projects.

One bin holds things I have posted on my Etsy site - AlysaMerle.Etsy.com. There are items that I have taken pictures of, but have not posted yet. I keep them handy so that I can make accurate descriptions in my listings. Also, I have bags holding things that are completed which have not been photographed. Finally, there are plenty of projects in progress - on my couch, and in various bags. I just purchased some medium sized clear plastic boxes, to hold things I am working on in the living room - so the cats can't get into them!

Do you have ideas about storing and sorting yarns? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

1 comment:

maryeb said...

I have quite a bit of yarn to organize. Right now I have it organized by project, but it's not a great system.
I may try one of your ideas.
Thanks.